Last summer I realized that all my ratty pairs of gym shorts that I used to wear to clean the house and work in the garden had gotten a bit too ratty. I have plenty of longer pants, but I only had nice pairs of shorts. Rather than buy some, I decided to go crazy with quilting cottons and make some.
The pattern is just my pyjama pants pattern. I made one pair with some fabric I already had, but unfortunately, most of my quilting cottons are only 1 yard cuts, which were too small to squeeze the shorts out of. I went to JoAnn’s and bought whatever fabrics I liked that were on sale. I streamlined the process by doing the last three together, and I was able to whip them out in almost no time.
I was definitely not too worried about being perfect on these. I did an especially horrible job marking the buttonholes for the drawstrings. I have not yet put in drawstrings (the drawstrings help to compensate as the elastic gives out over time, so they’re not really needed right now). I may get some cute ribbons rather than using cord. I also used finishes that are more durable; so for instance, the the hems are finished with a straight stitch, rather than trying to make them invisible as I would normally.
I definitely should have enough of these shorts now, and the fun fabrics will make me smile.