Last year for Christmas, I made robes for my sister and her boyfriend, so this year I thought I’d make slippers to go with them. These slippers are knitted and then felted. I also made a pair for myself (had to test out the pattern!) and my mom.
The first thing I did was to test the felting of my yarn. I knit up a swatch in stockinette and measured it both before and after felting. I first tried felting in my washing machine, but nothing seemed to happen. Not felting things is probably good in general, but annoying in this case. I was pretty sure my yarn was wool, but I did a burn test just to be sure. Once confirming it was wool, I felted it by hand in my kitchen sink. Felting the swatch gave me a good idea of what shrinkage to expect in my slippers.
The pattern was a very simple one from Ravelry. I had to make some changes as my yarn was a bit different (I was using up some yarn that I inherited). I made one pair for myself, partly to test my pattern changes. I then knit all the other pairs.
I once read in a book on felted purses that if you can’t felt in a washing machine, you can use a (clean!) plunger and a bucket. Doing one pair by had was fine, but doing three seemed like too much, so I bought a new plunger and got out my bucket. Felting works best in hot water, so the other advantage of using the plunger was that I could use water too hot for my hands. I certainly got a workout in working the slippers!
Once I had the slippers mostly felted, I continued to work them by hand so I would have better control. For the pairs that I was giving away, I kept them slightly on the larger with the idea that the recipients could finish shaping them to their feet. Once I was satisfied with mine, I even wore them a bit while they were wet to get an exact fit.
This was a fun project, and I’m quite happy with how they turned out. The link to this project in Raverly is here. I hope that everyone enjoys their slippers!